Tuesday, February 6, 2007

Mo Money, Mo Problems.

To my excitement, we returned to the city at around 2pm. This had been the earliest I've ever been at home on a weekday since I started work and I was both excited to enjoy the day in the city and exhausted from the trip. However, once I got home, I wound up recuping and napping. When I woke up, I was disappointed to find out that it was close to dusk. And while I wanted to simply enjoy the rest of the evening indoors, my lack of walking the typical daily 2+ miles to and from my shuttle stop left me feeling uneasy, so I decided to go for a walk.

Since it was still nice, I decided to walk to Chinatown, since I haven't really walked through that neighborhood at night. While m original intent was to look for a shot that would embody the nightlife of that area, I stumbled across this phrase tagged on the side of a Bank of America building, The juxtoposition of the statement and the institution was no doubt deliberate, yet I still found myself drawn to it boldly tagged message. I think it has somethig to do with the fact that although I've only experienced four months at my first real job out of college, I somewhat feel the tension between the desire for money and the desire for something more. Sure, money can get me nice things and get the bills paid, but deep down inside, I know that it's not what wholly satisfies me. While the temptation is still there to get more to get comfortable, I have come to the conclusion that I'd rather be satisfied with knowing how to wisely use what I've been provided with than always hunger for more. I guess it has to do with my upbringing- looking back, I realize that we were by no means well off (but at the same time not poor either), yet my parents made a conscious effort to not let money, or lack thereof, become a factor. Unconventional as it may be, it has shaped my value system to what it is today. So although I didn't find the shot that I intended to take that nght, I left Chinatown satisfied.

In the words of the late great Biggie Smalls, "Mo money, mo problems." Or rather, in this context, "Money makes us tired." But that's merely looking at it in the standpoint of the pursuit of money. What I'm trying to say is while earning money is hard work and often tiring, no matter how much of it you have, if used for the right purposes, it's all worth it in the end.

No comments: