Friday, February 9, 2007

Grounded.

My excitement in seeing my girlfriend this weekend was dampened pretty badly with my flight being cancelled as I was driving to the airport. I was informed by way of a voicemail recording about the cancellation and how they decided to rebook me on a route that would begin five hours later and get me into RDU at around 2:30AM, After frantically calling the 800 Delta number and a 40 minute hold, I discovered that I was rebooked to an American Airlines route that would go by way of Dallas-Fort Worth and get me into RDU by 12:50am-- two hours past my original arrival. I also discovered that there was an already-delayed flight that was departing for DFW promptly and if we arrived early or the flight out of DFW was delayed, I still had a chance to board an earlier flight that would get me in at 10PM. Although I was very disappointed about the intial cancellation, I knew that I had no other choice, so I decided to take my chances, knowing that it was a long shot to begin with.However, it was never meant to be. The earlier DFW-bound flight actually left later than projected, getting us in about half an hour after the first RDU flight departed.

So I was expecting to get to RDU at 12:50AM. But then, I was screwed over once again.

The captain of our RDU flight emerged from the jetway to inform us that there was a maintenance light that turned on, forcing me into another delay. After all was said and done, I wound up getting into RDU at 2AM, a good three hours past my original arrival time.

This is why I hate flying domestic. Regardless of the airline, the domestic fleet is always outdated, old, and one flight away from breaking down. There are ridiculous airport taxes that get attached to my ticket, which pay the TSA to "randomly" search me every time I fly anywhere. The crapshoot that they call a flight itinerary, which always seems to change. Need I go on?

No comments: